• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Wine storage project

Barrel Char Wood Products

MourneMead

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 6, 2013
Northern Ireland
That's really impressive. Did you build it yourself?

I'm having to consider some options at present on storage - between my wife's wine and my mead we're racking up the bottles.

(racking...geddit... in joke... :) )

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago area formerly Netherlands
Well, I have a below grade cellar where I store the mead now....it was 50 F in there the other day when I retrieved some stuff. There is a flimsy bookcase that I am storing on... if I could make more sense of your plans, I would think about that.... Is that shoe molding that is cradeling the bottles?

Riverat

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Boy a real cellar would be sweet but here the water table won't allow it, I had to settle on some dead space between rooms.
I did build it myself (heck I built the house!) I cut all the pieces (800 or so?) from 2" X 6's and 8's the vertical parts are more or less built like 2 sided ladders with the "steps" being 8" long and 3/4" X 3/4" X 1" triangular as viewed from the ends and the vertical lengths being 3/4" X 3" X 8'
I built a jig so I could lay the parts in, glue and brad them together and they would all be identical.
Along the rear, on the wall it's anchored to are horizontal 3/4" X 3" runners screwed to the studs I cut dados in to match the spacing of the "ladders" , the "ladders are glued and braded to these and the front tied together with smaller versions.
The base is doubled up 2" X 6" and doubled up 2" X 4's (I figure a load of a ton and a half)
It is hard to visualize just from the pictures, but if you have a good table saw, an air gun / brad gun and patience you might surprise yourself.
It would of course gone much faster with molding but cutting my own was much cheaper and I have a lot more time than money.

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Boy a real cellar would be sweet but here the water table won't allow it, I had to settle on some dead space between rooms.
I did build it myself (heck I built the house!) I cut all the pieces (800 or so?) from 2" X 6's and 8's the vertical parts are more or less built like 2 sided ladders with the "steps" being 8" long and 3/4" X 3/4" X 1" triangular as viewed from the ends and the vertical lengths being 3/4" X 3" X 8'
I built a jig so I could lay the parts in, glue and brad them together and they would all be identical.
Along the rear, on the wall it's anchored to are horizontal 3/4" X 3" runners screwed to the studs I cut dados in to match the spacing of the "ladders" , the "ladders are glued and braded to these and the front tied together with smaller versions.
The base is doubled up 2" X 6" and doubled up 2" X 4's (I figure a load of a ton and a half)
It is hard to visualize just from the pictures, but if you have a good table saw, an air gun / brad gun and patience you might surprise yourself.
It would of course gone much faster with molding but cutting my own was much cheaper and I have a lot more time than money.

Wow !!! And I almost follow that !! If I study it for a bit, I might even get it down.... but one question....

Georgia was in a drought...more or less severe for almost 10 years. How can you be in an area with a water table that high? Mannye I can understand there in south FL, but Georgia?

Riverat

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Well I'm just outside of Savannah not much above sea level, Mostly flat land (very much like Florida where I'm from by the way) and they don't call this area "The low country" for nothing!
My lot is on a slope (21' drop from front to back, a "hill" around here) from the road back and the water table (other than drought years) is pretty much inches from the surface or just above at the back. And I've seen the back acre under 12' of water before, lapping at the foundation but still 5' below the floor joists (forgot the name of the hurricane, Floyd maybe)

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Ahhh...okay. I know how that goes. This place is about 13 feet below sea level. Its cool so long as the levees hold and all....Dutch have done amazing things with drainage.

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
Yeah, I thought my (calculating in silly units) 12' drop over... 80' was big.
Excavating... 6' down under the house into the side of the hill.
Aught to give me a cellar with 8' ceilings.
Can't wait to fit it out. 20' square area for laundry/mead kitchen and cellar.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Yeah, I thought my (calculating in silly units) 12' drop over... 80' was big.
Excavating... 6' down under the house into the side of the hill.
Aught to give me a cellar with 8' ceilings.
Can't wait to fit it out. 20' square area for laundry/mead kitchen and cellar.

Oh man...the envy is strong in me now! I can only hope to have a cellar if I spend lots on electric coolers.

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
wine storage

Okay.. here is my (depleted) wine rack; an old bookcase in a below grade cellar with a 5' ceiling. Have many empty bottles there awaiting some filling and labeling to replenish my supply and collection.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Okay... here it is. A 528 bottle wine room.... http://trib.in/14SIspJ

comes complete with an 8000 sq ft house around it for a trifiling $5.5 million.

Believe it or not, that's a good value! Give me a few minutes and I will take a picture of the place going up across the street from me. You could buy...wait for it.... SIX of those 5.5M houses with what this one is going for. AND STILL NO WINE CELLAR!!!!

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
udutejad.jpg

There's a little taste of what 39 million gets you in Miami beach. Lol. I'll sneak onto the site after the workers leave.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns