The following steps will make it easier to get the gravity readings using a hydrometer:
- Take a sample of the Mead using a sanitized wine thief or turkey baster.
- Try to put it into the hydrometer’s measuring tube as carefully as possible to avoid creating bubbles.
- Gently lower the hydrometer into the liquid, again to avoid bubbles from sticking to the base of the bulb as this will affect the reading.
- Check to make sure it is not touching the sides of the tube.
- Record the value on the scale at the bottom of the curved meniscus (the surface of the liquid). See the diagram to the left for reference. In the case of the diagram, the reading is 1.0225.
[Appendix 8: Sample Recipe] [Return to INDEX]