3-2-21 Tonight we’re back on our regular schedule, and are happy to be talking with Clint Walker and Chase Cohagan, of Walker Honey Farm and Dancing Bee Winery. Clint Walker III is a third-generation beekeeper and the owner of Walker Honey Farm in Rogers, TX. In 2011, Walker Honey Farm opened Dancing Bee Winery as the mead making arm of the business.
Walker Honey Farm was founded in 1930, in the midst of the Great Depression, when Clint Walker Sr. started with 150 hives. Over the years, the business has expanded and grown to encompass bee operations all over Texas. Clint is a third generation Texas beekeeper. Like his father and grandfather before him, he is a full-time beekeeper. His son, Jonathan— became lead beekeeper in 2018. That makes him the fourth generation in the Walker family since 1930 to choose beekeeping as a profession and lifestyle. During Clint’s lifetime their family has operated bees for profit—either pollination services for a fee or for honey production—in every ecoregion of Texas except the Trans Pecos.
Chase Cohagan has been Dancing Bee’s mead maker since 2014, specializing in meads that appeal to wine drinkers. The choice to call ourselves Dancing Bee Winery rather than Meadery was deliberate. Most of Dancing Bee’s meads are still, in a corked bottle, and around 12-14% alcohol by volume. We also make carbonated session meads on tap, for growler fills or canning. Chase also helps with beekeeping and honey extracting at Walker Honey Farm.
Join us on the live chat and don’t be afraid to call in if you want to!
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.[break] [break]Click here to see a playable list of all our episodes!
If you want to ask your mead making questions, you can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323) or send us a question via email, or via Twitter @GotmeadNow and we’ll tackle it online! 9PM EDT/6PM PDT Join us on live chat during the show Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
- March 16 – Chris Plizga and Scott Schaar – Amazing Meads
Show links and notes
- Top, Middle and Base Notes: A Comprehensive List
- The Herbal Medicine Maker’s Handbook: A Home Manual – James Green and Ajana
- Food Pairing website
- The Flavor Bible
- The Flavor Matrix – the Art and Science of Pairing Common Ingredients to Create Extrordinary Dishes
- On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen
- Closet of Sir Kenelm Digby Unlock’d – Historical mead recipes
- Wellcome Mead by Laura Angotti
- Let There Be Melomels by Rob Ratliff
- The Big Book of Mead Recipes by Rob Ratliff
- Take part in Kevin Meintsma’s Hydromel Study – email firstname.lastname@example.org and he’ll send you questions
- Mar 4 – Bishop’s Bees – Online Mead Making Class
- Mar 5 – Mjødladen, Odense, Denmark – Online Mead Tasting
- Mar 5-6 – Kinsale Meadery – Kinsale, Ireland – Online Mead Talk and Tasting
- Mar 6 – Starrlight Meadery – Pittsboro, NC – Fairy Hair for Everyone party
- Mar 7 – Starrlight Meadery – Pittsboro, NC – First Sunday Sound Bath Sound Therapy – Online
- Mar 12 – Honeygirl Meadery – Durham, NC – Queen Bee Honey and Mead Virtual Tasting
- Mar 13 – Wandering Bard Meadery – Greenville, NC – Mead Making for Beginners
- Mar 20 – Online Class – Meadmaking Without Equipment
- Mar 24 – Robert Mondavi Institute for Wine and Food Science and Honey and Pollination Center at UC Davis – Sips and Bites: Mead – The Best Thing You’ve Never Tasted
- Mar 26 – Ancient Fire Mead and Cider – Manchester, NH – Virtual 3rd Anniversary Celebration
- April 17 – Point Lookout Vineyards, Hendersonville, NC – Mead Tasting and Mead History
- You can buy mead online at https://shopmeads.com
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at email@example.com and tell us about it!
- 11-23-21 Stephen at Experimeads – SCIENCE of Meadmaking - November 23, 2021
- 11-9-21 Rohan Meadery – Wendy Rohan and Rosie Haines – Mead is big in Texas - November 8, 2021
- 10-26-21 Yancy Bodenstein, Manisha Eigner and Jacob Latour – Clear Skies Meadery – home mead going pro - October 26, 2021