4-13-21 Tonight we’re chatting with Pierre Rodrigue, a prolific wine and meadmaker living in Alberta, Canada.
Pierre has been fermenting wine since 1985. His early batches consisted of kits, and fruits and berries. As there weren’t a lot of publications then and zero internet, he learned a lot by trial and error.
Pierre began mead making in the fall of 2016, and has won several medals and Best of Show at Canada’s Mellarius Cup. His penchant for all juice meads is fairly well known on social media, where he moderates GotMead, Modern Mead Makers, Home Made Wine Making, and his own page, The Modern Art of Wine and Mead.
In his spare time you can find him drawing, baking, cooking, curing and smoking meats, or long distance target shooting.
Join us on the live chat and don’t be afraid to call in if you want to!
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.[break] [break]Click here to see a playable list of all our episodes!
If you want to ask your mead making questions, you can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323) or send us a question via email, or via Twitter @GotmeadNow and we’ll tackle it online! 9PM EDT/6PM PDT Join us on live chat during the show Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
- We’ll let you know soon!
Show links and notes
- Top, Middle and Base Notes: A Comprehensive List
- The Herbal Medicine Maker’s Handbook: A Home Manual – James Green and Ajana
- Food Pairing website
- The Flavor Bible
- The Flavor Matrix – the Art and Science of Pairing Common Ingredients to Create Extrordinary Dishes
- On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen
- Closet of Sir Kenelm Digby Unlock’d – Historical mead recipes
- Wellcome Mead by Laura Angotti
- Let There Be Melomels by Rob Ratliff
- The Big Book of Mead Recipes by Rob Ratliff
- Take part in Kevin Meintsma’s Hydromel Study – email firstname.lastname@example.org and he’ll send you questions
- April 14 – Scale and Feather Meadery – Beer Talks – Online
- April 17 – Point Lookout Vineyards, Hendersonville, NC – Mead Tasting and Mead History
- April 18 – MoonJoy Meadery, Lenoir, NC – Mead and Mindfulness
- April 22 – Bulgarian Craft Mead, Plovdiv, Bulgaria – Launch Party – Get Buzzed!
- April 24 – Four Brothers Mead, Festus, MO – Sigurblot – A Viking Festival
- April 30 – Charm City Meadworks – Online Mead Tasting
- May 10 – el Bait Shop, Des Moines, IA – Mead Week – Tapping kegs from Schramm’s Mead, Moonlight Meadery, B. Nektar, East Grove Farms. Bottle pours from Superstition, Moonlight, Schramm’s and more.
- May 21-22 – UC Davis Honey and Pollination Center – Mead: Getting Creative
- May 22 – Sugarbelt Mead Festival – put on by Manic Meadery, Crown Point Indiana
- June 1 – Leaky Roof Meadery, Buffalo, MO- Open Jam with food vendor Ben’s Hotdogs & Brats
- June 20 – Orchid Cellar Meadery, Middletown, MD – Father’s Day Flight of Spice – try their spicy meads
- July 3 – White Winter Meadery, Cidery and Distillery, Iron River, WI – 25th Anniversary Celebration
- You can buy mead online at https://shopmeads.com
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at email@example.com and tell us about it!
- 4-27-21 Stian Krog – Mjøderiet – bringing back mead in Norway - April 27, 2021
- 4-13-21 Pierre Rodrigue – Making Mead and Wine in Canada - April 13, 2021
- 3-30-21 Cristoff Plizga and Scot Schaar – Polish mead and beyond - March 30, 2021