4-28-20 Tonight at 9PM ET we’re talking with Matt Weide, a long time homebrewer and meadmaker.
We’ll be chatting on interesting things including alternative sugars in mead (like inverts, maple syrup and the like) and how they can be used in fermentation, bochet tips and tricks, making rhubarb mead, playing with honeyberries, the AMMA Home Governing Committee elections and the Valkyries’ Horn competition.
Matt has been home brewing for over 20 years. He began making mead in 1998, but didn’t get serious about it until 2007, when he took a BJCP exam prep class and found out just how good mead could be.
Since then, Matt has been the Vice President of the Minnesota Home Brewers Association, won the AHA Meadmaker of the Year award in 2014, and has given talks on bochet style meads at the National Homebrewer’s Conference and MeadCon.
Most recently, Matt has helped start the Valkyrie’s Horn Mead competition and in 2020 was elected to the AMMA Home Governing Committee
Come on in and have a listen!
Join us on the live chat and don’t be afraid to call in if you want to!
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.[break] [break]Click here to see a playable list of all our episodes!
If you want to ask your mead making questions, you can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323) or send us a question via email, or via Twitter @GotmeadNow and we’ll tackle it online! 9PM EDT/6PM PDT Join us on live chat during the show Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
- May 5 – we’ll be off
Show links and notes
- Let There Be Melomels by Rob Ratliff
- Take part in Kevin Meintsma’s Hydromel Study – email email@example.com and he’ll send you questions
- Honeyberry information
- The Compleat Meadmaker by Ken Schramm
- Apple varietals and where they grow – http://orangepippen.com
- National Honey Board Mead Crafter Compeitition
- July 22-25 Mazer Cup International, Broomfield, CO
- September 26-28 AMMA MeadCon, Broomfield, CO
- Due to the pandemic, most meaderies cannot have events or open their taprooms, and are offering their mead via online and pickup service. You can find an ongoing list at https://gotmead.com/blog/meaderies/support-meaderies-during-coronavirus-where-to-get-mead-online-and-pickup/
- Visit our mead directory at https://gotmead.com/blog/commercial-mead/
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us about it!
- 5-24-22 Bob Slanzi – Bees, Meads and European Mead Making - May 24, 2022
- 4-22-22 – Rachel Lipman, Loew Vineyards – 150 years and 5 Generations of Mead Making - April 26, 2022
- 4-12-22 RJ Cassle – Bragging Rooster Meadery in Warrenton, NC - April 12, 2022