Tonight we’re thrilled to be talking with Steve Piatz, author of the top-selling mead book, “The Complete Guide to Making Mead“.
The first meads Steve made were when he was training with his brewclub to become a BJCP judge, back in the 90’s. They weren’t the best meads, but they worked at it. Then he attended a session taught by Ken Schramm and Dan McConnell, and he found what good mead tasted like. Then Ken wrote “The Compleat Meadmaker“, and then the discussions of staggered nutrients and fruit in primary and other interesting developments began to happen. His mead got really good.
Fast forward to 2013, and Steve had served on several mead panels, and after doing a write up, he was approached by a publisher to write his book.
Steve is currently a grand master BJCP VIII judge, right behind Gordon Strong. He is part of the exam grading process, and an exam director. And he generated nearly all the questions for the BJCP Mead exam.
You want to listen in!
Join us for GotMead Live Chat, on Skype, live during the broadcast!! You can join us here: https://join.skype.com/sOgoU06hcV7s during the show, and we’ll pass along questions to the guest, and answer your questions!
Join us 9PM ET tonight! (8PM CT/7PM MT/6PM PT)
Want to join the conversation, give us a call!! 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
If you want us to tackle your mead making questions, you can send us a question and we’ll tackle it online!
Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.
Show links and notes
- Vanilla Beans – Beanilla
- Entries are open for competition at the Eltham and District Wine Guild
- Oak and Mead – Petar Bakulic
- Titrets sulfite testing kit
- The Big Book of Mead Recipes by Rob Ratliff
- The Closet of Sir Kenelm Digby’s Closet Unlock’d – mead recipes from the 1600’s (among other things)
- St. Ambrose Cellars – Live music every Friday night – Thirsty Thursday (35% off Refills) – Open Mic Nights on Thursdays (6PM)
- Meridian Hive Meadery – last Friday of every month – Board Game Mead Up at the Tasting Room
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us about it!
- 5-24-22 Bob Slanzi – Bees, Meads and European Mead Making - May 24, 2022
- 4-22-22 – Rachel Lipman, Loew Vineyards – 150 years and 5 Generations of Mead Making - April 26, 2022
- 4-12-22 RJ Cassle – Bragging Rooster Meadery in Warrenton, NC - April 12, 2022