11-7-17 We’re back with another edition of Making Modern Mead. And we’re headed back to Australia, to talk with Steve Kirby, owner of Stone Dog Meadery in Yarra, New South Wales, Australia. Steve is a braggot monster, and makes a lot of them.
Steve started brewing in 1990, and his first attempt at fermenting was a plum wine made in his parents’ laundry and he’s been brewing ever since. Along the way he has been mentored by champion amateur and commercial brewers, been awarded both gold and silver medals in NSW state competitions and gold in the 2014 National homebrew championship (mead category) as well as having one of his beers showcased in that year’s gala dinner.
He’s been brewing mead for 5 years now after first being introduced to it through the Society for Creative Anachronism, and is a bear for braggots. He’s making a lot of braggot for his meadery, Stone Dog, in Australia.
Join us for GotMead Live Chat, on Skype, live during the broadcast!! You can join us here: https://join.skype.com/sOgoU06hcV7s during the show, and we’ll pass along questions to the guest, and answer your questions!
Join us 9PM ET tonight! (8PM CT/7PM MT/6PM PT)
Want to join the conversation, give us a call!! 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
If you want us to tackle your mead making questions, you can send us a question and we’ll tackle it online!
Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.
Show links and notes
- Radical Brewing: Recipes, Tales and World-Altering Meditations in a Glass by Steve Mosher
- Designing Great Beers: The Ultimate Guide to Brewing Classic Beer Styles by Ray Daniels
- Sheperd’s Delight Malt
- The Flavor Bible
- The Big Book of Mead Recipes by Rob Ratliff
- November 8 – Bos Meadery – Willie Jones and his Dime Store Posse
- November 9 – Honeymoon Mead and Cider – Belly Dancing!
- November 10 – Bos Meadery – Compact Deluxe, Help Desk, and HellMuff
- November 11 – Superstition Meadery – Berry White Day!
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us about it!
She is also an experienced marketing coach and consultant who has recently decided to focus her marketing expertise exclusively on the craft beverage market to help meaderies, cideries, breweries and distilleries expand their business and get more customers while doing what they love.
Latest posts by Vicky Rowe (see all)
- 11-26-19 Amy Olsen and Annie Zipser – Michigan Mead Alliance, making mead, and mead talk - November 26, 2019
- 11-5-19 Mike Faul – Rabbits Foot Mead – peak honey, Irish mead and meadery IT - November 5, 2019
- 10-29-19 – Sergio Moutela – pyments, beer style meads, weirdomels and recipes - October 29, 2019