8-29-17 Tonight we’re talking with Ryan Carlson (known as Squatchy on the Gotmead Forums).
Ryan has been making mead for quite a while now. And along the way, he’s learned quite a bit as well. And one of the things he’s been talking about a lot lately is oaking mead. Oak in mead can add a ton of complexity and depth, and the methods, time and type of oak make a difference.
This is an often-discussed technique, and one that has many answers. Ryan is going to lead the discussion tonight, with the Gotmead Live Team, Manny, AJ and Hamish.
I’ll be hanging out on the board, running the tech, and chipping in from time to time, but as I’m still having breathing issues, not talking too much.
Join us for GotMead Live Chat, on Skype, live during the broadcast!! You can join us here: https://join.skype.com/sOgoU06hcV7s during the show, and we’ll pass along questions to the guest, and answer your questions!
Join us 9PM ET tonight! (8PM CT/7PM MT/6PM PT)
Want to join the conversation, give us a call!! 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
If you want us to tackle your mead making questions, you can send us a question and we’ll tackle it online!
Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.
Show links and notes
- Oak Info paper – http://morewinemaking.com/public/pdf/oakinfopaper09.pdf
- Oak and Mead – Petar Bakulic
- Wood Management – http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php/26346-Wood-management
- Coopering video – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8mI059cekM&t=1863s
- The Brewing Network on Oak – http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/post1888/
- Black Swan Barrels – http://www.blackswanbarrels.com/
- The Big Book of Mead Recipes by Rob Ratliff
- St. Ambrose Cellars – Live music every Friday night – Thirsty Thursday (35% off Refills) – Open Mic Nights on Thursdays (6PM)
- Meridian Hive Meadery – last Friday of every month – Board Game Mead Up at the Tasting Room
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at email@example.com and tell us about it!
She is also an experienced marketing coach and consultant who has recently decided to focus her marketing expertise exclusively on the craft beverage market to help meaderies, cideries, breweries and distilleries expand their business and get more customers while doing what they love.
Latest posts by Vicky Rowe (see all)
- 11-5-19 Mike Faul – Rabbits Foot Mead – peak honey, Irish mead and meadery IT - November 5, 2019
- 10-29-19 – Sergio Moutela – pyments, beer style meads, weirdomels and recipes - October 29, 2019
- 10-8-19 Adam Crockett on oaking, barrels and making mead in Pét Nat style - October 8, 2019