2-2-21 Tonight at 9PM ET we’ll be talking with Tom Repas. Tom has been on the show before, and we’re having him back, as he’s an absolute fountain of information!
We’re going to talk with Tom about mead, specifically mead in secondary. There is a lot that happens in secondary, like stabilization, clarification, backsweetening, adjuncts and adjustments. So we’re
Tom is a Master Beekeeper and owner of Canyon Rim Honey Bees, providing bees and honey in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Tom speaks on beekeeping all over the country, and has presented several times at the AMMA MeadCon on both beekeeping and meadmaking. Tom has won a large number of awards for his mead as well.
Tom is a 4th generation beekeeper, and has been working with bees since he was a kid. He kept bees and sold the honey for extra money in high school. He went into professional beekeeping while he was still active as a medical doctor, and has developed a cross for bees that are gentle, overwinter well, and are mite resistant.
On the mead side of things, Tom is a very talented mead maker who consistently wins medals with his meads, and has a skill for thinking outside the box for flavor profiles. His mushroom mead was the talk of the mead community for some time when he brought it out to taste. I got to try it, I was stunned at how good it was. Of course, Tom uses his own honey, as well as honeys from other providers and areas, and they’re all good! Tom says his meads are ‘ok’. We think they’re better than that, lol.
Join us on the live chat and don’t be afraid to call in if you want to!
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.[break] [break]Click here to see a playable list of all our episodes!
If you want to ask your mead making questions, you can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323) or send us a question via email, or via Twitter @GotmeadNow and we’ll tackle it online! 9PM EDT/6PM PDT Join us on live chat during the show Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
- Feb 2 – Clint Walker, Walker Honey Farms – Beekeeper and Meadmaking, and guest host Tom Repas
Show links and notes
- Top, Middle and Base Notes: A Comprehensive List
- The Herbal Medicine Maker’s Handbook: A Home Manual – James Green and Ajana
- Food Pairing website
- The Flavor Bible
- The Flavor Matrix – the Art and Science of Pairing Common Ingredients to Create Extrordinary Dishes
- On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen
- Closet of Sir Kenelm Digby Unlock’d – Historical mead recipes
- Wellcome Mead by Laura Angotti
- Let There Be Melomels by Rob Ratliff
- The Big Book of Mead Recipes by Rob Ratliff
- Take part in Kevin Meintsma’s Hydromel Study – email firstname.lastname@example.org and he’ll send you questions
- Feb 6 – Domras Cup, Savannah, GA – third round of judging
- Feb 6 – McAlpine Meadery, Beach City, OH – Online live music with Final Chapter
- Feb 6 – Empire State Honey Producers Association Winter Conference
- Feb 12-14 – Starrlight Meadery, Pittsboro, NC – Mead and Chocolate
- Feb 13 – Wandering Bard Meadery, Greenville, SC – Meadmaking for Beginners Class
- Feb 13 – Etowah Meadery, Dahlonega, GA – online live music with Chad Bowmar
- Feb 13 – Wandering Bard Meadery, Greenville, SC – Mead Tasting Class, Ciders, Cysers and Sessions
- Feb 13 – Rohan Meadery, La Grange, TX – Music with J&B Duo
- Feb 14 – Etowah Meadery, Dahlonega, GA – online live music with Ryan LittleEagle
- Feb 22 – Group Brew Day (online) set up by Michael Jordan
- Feb 25 – Upper Reach Meadery, Perkasie, PA – Online event – Cabot Cheese Tutored Tasting
- Feb 27-28 – Vermont Winter Renaissance Faire, Essex, VT- Artesano Mead, Groenfell Meadery and Sticky Paws Meadery will be pouring there
- You can buy mead online at https://shopmeads.com
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at email@example.com and tell us about it!
- 5-24-22 Bob Slanzi – Bees, Meads and European Mead Making - May 24, 2022
- 4-22-22 – Rachel Lipman, Loew Vineyards – 150 years and 5 Generations of Mead Making - April 26, 2022
- 4-12-22 RJ Cassle – Bragging Rooster Meadery in Warrenton, NC - April 12, 2022