• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

A couple of questions

Barrel Char Wood Products

RedHaze

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 29, 2011
I'm about to start my second ever batch of mead, and I have a few questions.

I'm going to do a peach ginger melomel, and I was wondering at point to add pectic enzyme? I'm putting 10 pounds of peaches n the primary, and another 7-8 in secondary. Just wait till then, or after it's been in secondary for a while?

I'm not sure what effect the fermentation will have on the ginger. Would you add the ginger in the primary, or secondary?

On that note, when you're making a metheglin, is it better to add your spices in primary or secondary?

Thanks for any tips.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Pectic enzyme doesn't work well during an active fermentation so I usually add it 24 hours before I pitch my yeast so it has time to do its thing and get the fruit to release all its liquid into the must so the yeast can do its thing and so that my SG's the most accurate I can get it.

However, it's not used up, so its effects should still work on fruit added in secondary.

And with a metheglyn? Depends on what you're looking for, I prefer my ginger in primary but that's just cause I'm an idiot and leave it in secondary for too long. I like vanilla in secondary and I find cinnamon works well either way.

RedHaze

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 29, 2011
Thanks for the reply. I just read about the pectic enzyme in a mead making book today, but it didn't say when to add it.

after reading your reply, I think I will stick to primary for the ginger. I suppose I can always add more later if I need to.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
There's anecdotal evidence that pectic enzyme not only helps sort the pectin but also contributes toward colour and flavour extraction.

It's more cost effective to use it before ferment as you usually use double the amount in a completed fermentation.

Ginger in secondary, as you can remove it once its added enough flavour. Not so easy in primary, as you will often find that the ferment will attenuate the flavour.

RedHaze

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 29, 2011
Thanks to both of you for the input. I guess, as with a lot of things, it all comes down to personal preference. I'm going to have to think on how I want to add the ginger.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns