• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Accidental Sparkling Mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

Fisher kel Tath

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 7, 2009
Kalamazoo, MI
So, gave my brother a bottle of my Cherry Blossom Green Tea with Blood Orange (log which I made back in winter with bread yeast, and with family in town, we drank it saturday.

To my surprise, Even after stabilizing, cold crashing, racking off the lees, letting set for 2 months bulk aging before bottling, the mead had built up CO2 and was sparkling.

It's kinda neat, when me and my friends first tried it a month after bottling, I thought I noticed a slight tingle on the tongue from carbonation, but friends didn't when asked, and just wrote it off to it not being degassed 100%.

So a tip, when you first start bottling, use beer bottles, might not look fancy, but can hold pressure better.

Tygia

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 24, 2010
St. Pete FL
So a tip, when you first start bottling, use beer bottles, might not look fancy, but can hold pressure better.

I have become a big fan of bottling in beer bottles. They are the perfect size to share a glass of mead with a friend. I have more "give away" bottles so everyone who has been begging for a bottle gets one. If the empties aren't returned, it's no big deal-I can get them replenished quick enough! And for me, they store easier!

Oh-and Hooray for happy accidents! I love sparkling mead-you can't help but smile when you raise a class to your lips.
Tygia

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I like to bottle my JAO's in screw-top containers for this very reason... so I can check on them without popping a cork or cap...

My first mead was an accidental sparkling mead too :) it's amazing what those yeasties will tolerate in some batches!

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
This is why we often harp on extended bulk aging which allows any refermentation to occurr without causing problems.

I have let all my meads wait for soooo long in bulk aging that if any yeast are still able to ferment in the bottle I say all the power to 'em. It's kind of like your granddad managing to catch a hot young blonde to warm up his final years, really. Go grandpa.

;D

Which is to say it hasn't happened to me yet--although I have put some mead under crown caps so they will carbonate, but I haven't tried any of it. Yet.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns