• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Camden tablets

Barrel Char Wood Products

Soulpanda

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 24, 2012
Hey guys,
I was going to make a honeysuckle wine from
Blossoms frozen from spring and the recipe calls dor
Tannin and Camden tablets, do I have to use the Camden
Tablets even though they have been frozen for several
Months? Or do I miss u derstabd what Camden is used
For?

Thanks!

Andrew

Soulpanda

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 24, 2012
This is what I was going to use:

HONEYSUCKLE WINE (2)

6 cups honeysuckle flower petals
7-1/2 pts water
2-1/2 lbs finely granulated sugar
2 lemons or 1 lemon and 1 orange
1 crushed Campden tablet
1/8 tsp tannin
1 tsp yeast nutrient
Champagne or Montrachet wine yeast
Thinly peel citrus, retaining peel and juicing fruit. Rinse fresh flowers under cold water to remove dust, insects, etc. Put flowers and citrus peeling in 2 quart saucepan with tight-fitting lid. Add 1 quart water and bring to a simmer. Fit lid and turn off heat. Let steep for three hours. Meanwhile, bring remainder of water to boil and stir in sugar until dissolved. Remove from heat, put lid on pan and allow to cool. Strain flower water into primary. Add citrus juice and all remaining ingredients except yeast, stirring until Campden powder is dissolved. Cover well and set aside for 24 hours. Add activated yeast and recover primary. Stir daily until s.g. drops to 1.015. Rack into secondary and fit airlock. After 30 days, rack into sanitized secondary, top up and refit airlock. Set aside in dark place for 6 months, racking at 3 months and 6 months if deposits require it. Stabilize, sweeten if desired and rack into bottles. Store in dark place six months before tasting.

I was going to use Montrachet yeast and do a five gallon batch. I am still learning wine making, thanks for the help.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
When recipes call for campden tablets up front like that, it's just a reassurance that your must is mostly devoid of other organisms before you pitch your yeast. Some people always use it at that time, some never do. My main wine reference books say it's optional and I only ever use it if I'm using fruit that's already bruised or known to spoil very quickly and I'm not sure will keep long enough for the pectinase to do its thing, which in my case, is pears. But if it's something you can't wash, like blossoms, then it's not a completely bad idea. Don't forget, freezing doesn't kill most microorganisms, it just puts them to sleep.

Soulpanda

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 24, 2012
Ok, I rinsed them before I froze them,
But just was assuming that freezing
would be enough. I don't know why,
I know better than that. Alright, so I
Should dose it well and good to be sure.
Thanks!

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I've done two different blossom batches where I froze them, one was great and the other... well, that particular kind of stinky is going to take some time to age out. I've had that stink in a couple of other batches and it will go away eventually.

I generally assume that a vigorous fermentation's going to nix just about anything else in the must so I didn't bother with the campden tablet on mine.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
For this recipe, the Campden tablets aren't needed. You are effectively pateurizing the must so there won't be any organisms to supress. This will save you 24 hours of waiting.

I'd skip the tannin as well. You can add it later if needed, but a 3-hour steeping with citrus will probably add enough. That long of a steep may give vegetal character so be cautious.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns