• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Clearing, temperature and bottling question.

Barrel Char Wood Products

TheGiantGinger

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 17, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Hi all,
The first mead I started making, a JOAM is just about to be ready. We've hit the 2 month mark and the brew is clearing and the fruit dropping... when the temperature in my house dips below 16-18˚C (61-64˚F). I haven't been able to get a brew fridge yet... so for the time being, I've been bringing the temperature back up to 20-22˚C (68-72˚F) so it ferments as fully as possible.

Knowing that it's just going to get colder here in Australia for the next 6 months... is it close enough to finished that I am safe to bottle this now? Or will it potentially turn into bottle rockets if I don't drink it all before summer comes around?

(on a side note, I've noticed that some of my brews will stop fermenting if they go under 18˚C, while others will continue... even though they are all using (except for the JOAM) EC1118)

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Personally I'd leave it alone until its clear and the fruit has all dropped.

It's worth knowing that its best to move the fermenter to where you're gonna conduct the racking/bottling a day or so before you do, as you've only got too look at it wrongly and bread yeast will come back into suspension........

Your slowing of fermenting with wine yeast may just be a temp issue equally you might want to review your nutrition scheme or check the pH level.......or even consider a different yeast, and if your in Aus the K1-V1116 comes straight to mind.......

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns