• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

D47 Yeast and Inside House Fermentation

Barrel Char Wood Products

jollybobster

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 20, 2013
Hi All,

I am back into homebrewing again and decided to try to make 10 gallons of honey mead since my neighbor (a bee keeper) gave me 5 gals of raw honey. My big question is, my inside house temperature here in Florida is usually around 78 degrees, and I am using a D47 yeast (and I added 5 tsp nutrient to each 5 gal). Does anyone have any experience with these higher temperatures causing a problem? I think I will be at the top of the temperature range and am worried about off flavours. Thanks.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Hi All,

I am back into homebrewing again and decided to try to make 10 gallons of honey mead since my neighbor (a bee keeper) gave me 5 gals of raw honey. My big question is, my inside house temperature here in Florida is usually around 78 degrees, and I am using a D47 yeast (and I added 5 tsp nutrient to each 5 gal). Does anyone have any experience with these higher temperatures causing a problem? I think I will be at the top of the temperature range and am worried about off flavours. Thanks.
Well if your internal home temps are about the 78F mark then D47 isn't going to be the best performer.

The Lallemand yeast chart, tells you that their published range is 15-28C a.k.a. 59-82.4F.

That is likely to have been worked out using grape musts, which are likely to have been correctly nourished.

A quick search hereabouts, would show you that other Florida mead makers have found that if it's fermented above 70F/21C, D47 can produce high levels of fusels, that can take a long time (if ever) to mellow out (posts by our esteemed Medsen Fey will give you more of an idea).

I'd suggest that you chose a different yeast and it's K1-V1116 that comes to mind. It has many similar attributes, but it also has a much wider temperature tolerance and is known to be better at warmer temps (some of the Aussies use it and it can get as hot or hotter their). It has a better reputation at the sort of temps you allude to (with meads, that is).

Yes, it is an 18% ABV yeast, but if you just work the numbers to produce a 14% or so batch, then you can just ferment dry, stabilise and then back sweeten to taste.

You'd need about the 3lb in the gallon of must. Or presuming "finished" at 1.000 (it could go a bit lower), then a start gravity of the 1.103/1.104 sort of area......

Oh, and of course, welcome to the forums.......

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Using D47 at room temp in FL for a traditional mead is a recipe for paint thinner. That's the way I made my very first mead. I waited for about 7 years hoping the "rocket fuel," burning, fusel-alcohol character would fade. It never did.

Either get the temp down with a swamp cooler, or use other yeast (K1V, D21, or maybe Wyeast 1388 ).

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns