• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

First Melomel

Barrel Char Wood Products

Mirakk

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2013
Waukesha, WI
Hey guys, I'm planning on making a raspberry mead soon. Due to budget constraints, I'll be using preserves. 2 vintner's reserves cans, to be precise. My question is related to the fruit addition.

How do you manage the fruit addition in secondary? I'm planning a 5 gallon batch, and would rack it onto the fruit in a 6-7 gallon carboy. I suspect this will be large enough.

1. What do you guys use for a punch-down tool?
2. Will I need to punch down with preserves at all?
3. What's a good amount of time to leave the preserves in before racking it off again?
4. Will a carboy be a decent vessel for this? I'd suspect that a bucket would be easier to manage, but too much headspace there!

Thanks in advance!

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
If there are solids in your fruit, you'll need to punch down the cap to prevent it from drying and harboring spoilage organisms. I use a large brew spoon, but you can use anything. In fact, just swirling will accomplish what is needed. If you use fresh/frozen fruit that has seeds and pulp, getting it off that residue in 7-14 days can reduce unwanted bitterness. With preserves or fruit wine bases, there is no urgency as whatever is in there has been soaking in there for an indefinite period. If it has a lot of pulp, I'd use a bucket, otherwise a carboy will be fine.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

Painted toad

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2015
Hi fellow dad makers, I have question about Meomel's. I have a Apple Meomel's at the 6 month point, it is pretty dry? I was hoping for something a little sweeter! Can I add juice or honey at bottling?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts
The Painted Toad

WVMJack

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 12, 2013
Karnage, WV
www.wvmjack.com
You are not going to have to worry about punching down with a can of Vitners, its 99% juice not solids, you might want to dump one in during the ferment in the primary and save the other for adding into the secondary that way you will get some winey fermented fruit tastes as well as later boosting the fruit flavor. Remember this is a fermented product, its not like you are just adding some alchohol to the fruit. WVMJ

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns