• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

General Advise/Help Needed new bee

Barrel Char Wood Products

EB Taylor

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 21, 2013
I did use both (thanks for asking) and thanks for the info on adding honey. in a few days I will check the gravity again after it clears up more and taste it.
I had used 3 pounds of honey per gallon thinking this would leave it sweet enough.
I had intended to stop fermentation and bottle this first batch and start drinking it without aging it much (I am not a connoisseur ) hopefully to start another batch and do a better job.
I have only recently discovered Mead and found I liked it I could immediately see the cost was too high so I would have to ferment my own its been fun.
I like the traditional meads best my new favorite is a Texas called Dancing Bee however I have noticed a difference in it from bottle to bottle is this common with meads?

Honeyhog

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2013
Vancouver, BC
The old hands at this all recommend bulk aging the mead in the carboy so that there is consistency from bottle to bottle. I'm noticing this variation between bottles now with a batch I bottled up quite young (4 months in the carboy) because I needed to free up the carboy. From everything I've read unless you have a temperature controlled wine cellar it will be hard to have uniform aging once bottled.

EB Taylor

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 21, 2013
Thanks again for all of the help and advise I have 20 bottles + 1/2 of mead bottled and aging didn't taste too bad little dry but I think it will get better after it ages some.
can't wait to start the next batch.

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago area formerly Netherlands
LOL....another one that has caught the bug. We really should come up with a name for this phenomenon..... make a batch, then a second, and before you know it, there's a veritable forest of fermentation locks burping away in a symphonic cacophony. What should we call that compulsion?

EB Taylor

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 21, 2013
Ok Folks its been 3 weeks (roughly) and fermentation has slowed to about 1 bubble every 20-25 seconds still a lot of oranges/raisins, floating on top quite a bit of sediment on bottom.
Should I rack it into a secondary carboy and wait for it to clear up? let it continue ? etc,etc,etc
Not sure how long its supposed to take really.
Thanks again for the advise

moridin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 12, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
I would take another reading with your hydrometer, that will let you know just how muh sugar you have left, I would also take regular readings until your readings have stabilized, at that time if rack

Sent from The Age of Legends, trapped inside a Stasis Box

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns