• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Is a pound of honey 16oz, or 10.67oz?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Intheswamp

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 9, 2012
South Alabama
The couple of meads that I've used I've figured by weight, not volume...kinda. I knew how much (by weight) that I was supposed to use but it was hard figuring out how to rinse the jars out with water and add that to the must and still come up with the correct weight. Even figuring the weight of the jar and subtract that weight from the total weight of jar and honey didn't seem good. So, what'd I do...I went by my hydrometer and came up with the OG that I wanted to start with. :)

But, from what I know, the ounces are usually figured as weight as is usually denoted in recipes in pounds. A common one being "15 pounds of honey for a 5 gallon batch" which gives 3 pounds of honey in each gallon (not added to it).

Or, I may be just a really confused newbee meader (probably am). :toothy9:

Best wishes,
Ed

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Dunno. Here 1lb of honey is 454 grammes. How much it would be in fluid ounces I don't know. Never needed to measure it as a liquid volume.

Guess it must be confusing for you lot in the US. As it seems that some places sell honey by weight and other places by liquid volume.

Personally I just add about the 3lb mark in the fermenter, then top it up with water to 1 gallon (imperial, not US), then take a reading, check the table to see what it's likely to work out as when converted to % ABV and go from there.

UKTony

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 24, 2012
Richmond, VA
I've been speaking to lots of Apiaries over the last few weeks trying to track down exactly which honey I want to buy, and the general rule of thumb that I've found useful is that 15 pounds is about 5 quarts, and hence 3 pounds = 1 quart (all very approximate). For those in Europe, a quart is a slightly undersized litre.

There are 16 ounces in a Pound (US or Imperial).

However if you use quarts and gallons it can get tricky depending on where you live, because a US Gallon is considerably smaller than an Imperial Gallon (that's why the cars in the UK get such great gas mileage compared to their colonial cousins)

1 Gallon [UK] = 160 Ounces [UK]
1 Gallon [Fluid, US] = 128 Ounces [Fluid, US]

Honey seems to be measured mostly in pounds, which is safe where ever you are, since a pound is a pound, the actual liquid volume that calculates to exactly will depend on the density of the honey, etc. and will become less accurate the greater the quantity being discussed.

Sorry for mini-essay, but I like to be clear.

Hope this helps a little?

Tony.

Last edited:

Intheswamp

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 9, 2012
South Alabama
<snip>...the general rule of thumb that I've found useful is that 15 pounds is about 5 quarts, and hence 3 pounds = 1 quart (all very approximate). For those in Europe, a quart is a slightly undersized litre.
<snip>

Bottling my honey this past season I found that a quart was less than three pounds...more along the lines of 2.75-2.8 pounds per quart. Maybe I was doing something wrong or maybe my bees make "lite" honey. ;D

Ed

UKTony

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 24, 2012
Richmond, VA
You could be entirely right!

Apols if I mislead anyone. It was a guess, purely implied from various recipes where I've seen weights and volumes mentioned in the same recipe.

Regards

Tony

Intheswamp

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 9, 2012
South Alabama
No apologies needed, Tony. The weight varies. I live in south Alabama in a rather humid area so the moisture content in my honey wasn't as low as it would be in an arid environment where the honey could be dried down a lower moisture content. The less water content, the heavier the honey...how much heavier I don't know. :) You are right about the 3# figure being in given *many* recipes and discussions.

Ed

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns