• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Isinglass

Barrel Char Wood Products

K5MOW

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 2, 2011
Friendswood TX
Hi all

I hoe i did not make a Mistake as I added Isinglass to my mead after raking it in to secondary. Dose Isinglass stop fermentation or just help get the mead clear? When I raked the mead to secondary the reading was 1.030 and I hope that the Isinglass wont stop the fermenting. What do all of you think?
I had the mead in Primary for about 3 weeks.

Thanks Roger

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Hi all

I hoe i did not make a Mistake as I added Isinglass to my mead after raking it in to secondary. Dose Isinglass stop fermentation or just help get the mead clear? When I raked the mead to secondary the reading was 1.030 and I hope that the Isinglass wont stop the fermenting. What do all of you think?
I had the mead in Primary for about 3 weeks.

Thanks Roger
As far as I'm aware, isinglass is a gelatine based clearing additive. I've not heard it stopping ferments.

It's sulphite and sorbate that you want to avoid until it's finished fermenting....

regards

fatbloke

K5MOW

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 2, 2011
Friendswood TX
As far as I'm aware, isinglass is a gelatine based clearing additive. I've not heard it stopping ferments.

It's sulphite and sorbate that you want to avoid until it's finished fermenting....

regards

fatbloke

Thanks for the info. I think that fermentation has stoped. I have stired up the turb on the botton and it did not help. What should I do now?

Roger

K5MOW

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 2, 2011
Friendswood TX
Could I make a yeast starter and repich the yeast. the SG have not changed in 3 days and it shows no signs of fermenting. How do I make a yeast starter for mead. How much honey and water should I use.

Thanks Roger

K5MOW

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 2, 2011
Friendswood TX
Yes you can, but without knowing your initial specific gravity, and the yeast strain you used it's hard to tell if maybe the yeast has hit its alcohol tolerance.
What was the OG and what yeast?

The OG was 1.099 and I used Lalvin D-47.

Roger

chams

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Yes, that should go lower. Do a search on the forums for restarting a stuck fermentation. It's a bit involved but not too hard.
You use Lalvin EC-1118 or a robust yeast and over a period of about 24 hours keep adding bits of your must to your yeast starter.

I'm sure the experts here can chime in and give you the best directions. I've never had to do it.

I'll look for the article for you.

tweak'e

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 31, 2011
NewZealand
Isinglass is fish gut based afaik.

trouble you may have is if any is still in the mead when you repitch.
afaik it helps yeast settle out so it may actually interfere with the repitch.
you would have to rack it till its clear before repitching.

instead of repitching why not water it down a bit (reduce the sweetness) and turn it into a low alcohol drink ?

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Why don't you give us your complete recipe and process details, including nutrients, aeration, temperature, and pH if you have it? Your fermentation was having problems before it was racked or it would have been finished in 3 weeks. Generally speaking, I don't like to rack out of primary until a mead is done as racking tends to leave a lot of active yeast behind and can slow things down in some cases.

After we see the details, we may be able to make some better suggestions.

Endeavor to persevere!
Medsen

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns