• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Mead as sustainable product in rural, developing countries with Dr. Garth Cambray

Barrel Char Wood Products

Kansas Mead

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Mar 9, 2012
Kansas
mannye, that is a good idea. I am researching how continuous fermentation works. I think a 1 gallon size system is a good starting point.

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago area formerly Netherlands
I've read about it, but having a tough time wrapping my brain around it. Certainly it would require some pumps and tubing and such, but when and where to pump from one container to another....

Like... it seems you would have maybe 4 tanks.....One for primary, and one for secondary, but maybe that is just 1 tank. Then the finished fermented must has to go to another tank.... or, are they moving the yeast to a new fermentation tank?

Anyway, I have some special drill bits (from Home Depot, back in the day) that I have used for glass bottle. Maybe a rubber grommet with a plastic hose inserted..... hmm....

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Unfortunately, the Makana meadery now appears to be out of business. Their Google citation says 'Now Closed,' and emails sent to Garth at the meadery email address bounce.

I just sent an email to info@iqhilika.co.za and it has not bounced back (yet), and the web site DOES seem to be alive yet. http://www.iqhilika.co.za/index.htm and Dr. Garth Cambray DOES have a profile on LinkedIn, so I am not sure it is defunct.

I was at a 'fair trade' shop in Vollenhove yesterday that had some wines from South Africa, but no meads and nothing from Makana Meadery.

10 minutes later - The email has bounced back with an error saying that the mailbox was full/quota exceeded. However, it is showing a 192.168 IP address, which is usually reserved for local routers etc.
<garth@iqhilika.co.za> (expanded from <info@iqhilika.co.za>): host
192.168.31.238[192.168.31.238] said: 552 5.2.2 <garth@iqhilika.co.za> Quota
exceeded (mailbox for user is full) (in reply to end of DATA command)

So... am not sure WHAT to think.

20 minutes later - - I have sent a private message to mrcloc, a GotMead user from South Africa to see if he can tell us anything.....

Last edited:

Mrcloc

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 15, 2014
Pretoria, South Africa
Hi,

Thanks for showing me the thread. I've read about two South African meaderies and tried to find their products, but nothing where I live. I think both are based in the Cape and I think one would have to taste at the farm or buy at the farm. I'm sure there would be some speciality shops who would sell the products. I'm not planning on getting down to the Cape any time soon, but if I do go I'll try to plan that I get to one or both of the meaderies (when I've gone down in the past wine tasting was always on the itinerary) - I've been interested in tasting their mead for a while now.

I think one of the two meaderies makes interesting meads - chili, etc.

I started making mead because it's an impossible drink to come by where I live. I've searched. And it's so easy to make!

I don't think mead is much of a business here. I don't think people know what it is and they don't want it. I'm working on an idea of starting a meadery, but I don't have the capital or the correct recipe yet. If I get one going I'll make it go big and ship my meads to other parts of the world ;) .

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Well.. thanks for the reply Mrcloc... I feel like a CNN reporter thanking "our man on site in South Africa"... LOL.

Netherlands isn't real big on mead either, which is one reason I decided to use a traditional flavor that folks recognize and love up here. Hence the Speculaas Metheglyn, which is now aging and clarifying. I am getting a bit of some positive feedback from my Lady Windebanke batch too. So... form up your 'focus group' and find something that grabs their taste buds !! I think Dr. Cambray had a great idea... and can't help but wonder what happened to his venture(s).

UKTony

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 24, 2012
Richmond, VA
Not wanting to hijack the thread, just wanted to mention I have three bottles from Maine Mead Works, sitting right here waiting for me to drink them! Carry on as you were please!

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
So they used the roots of this plant to make it like a fixed-medium biomass reactor! Cool! (I studied things like continuous processes in university)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns