• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Problems and solutions for a non clearing mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

Wloch248

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 16, 2006
I have a 5 gal batch that I started on 3/16 and my first rack was on 4/2. Initial sg was 1.110 and at the first rack it was 1.018. Recipe is as follows
15lbs bulk honey from honeyflow farm
4gal H2O
2packs D-47 yeast
2.5 tsp yeast nutrient/energizer

It tastes pretty young but still good (still very yeasty). It has cleared just a little bit since I racked it. It has been over 2 months of sitting in my basement in the dark and it doesn't seem to be getting any clearer. How long does it usually take to clear? I know it isn't ready yet for drinking but I thought stuff would settle a little more. It hasn't been shaken or moved and no bubbles from the airlock for a long time.

Is there something that I can do other than wait for it to clear?

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Wloch248 said:
Is there something that I can do other than wait for it to clear?

There is, but since it's young and needs to age anyway... just let it bulk age for a few more months. If it still hasn't cleared to your liking you can try Sparkolloid. Personally, I prefer to let time clear my meads.

Also you might want to try stirring up the D47 lees in your secondary, as this can help absorb some potential off flavors and actually help clear your mead. Some information on lees stirring here.

Wrathwilde

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Wrathwilde said:
If it still hasn't cleared to your liking you can try Sparkolloid.

Keep in mind that the manufacturer recommends filtering after clearing with Sparkolloid, though many people don't do it. There are a variety of other agents available, too. I've had good luck with bentonite.

-David

kace069

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2004
I have been having good results with benotnite but I have two problem meads right now and have already had bentonite and not much mchange. I suspect these two meads are under fermented and I hav already added potassium sorbate.
I just bought some isinglass, although I have never used it before. I thinnk I will rack first and sit back before I put the isinglass in.
BTW I recently used d47 and it cleared on its own better than any other mead i have made sicne I started no boil.

Tyred

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 11, 2005
I buried a cyser in ice for 4 days and it cleared very well. Personally I'd give it a bit longer to clear natually, at least a couple more months.

Wloch248

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 16, 2006
Man, you guys kick some major butt when it comes to answering questions. I guess a little lees stirring and then let time take its course.

Thanks for the advice!

Dwhite

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Aug 31, 2005
I'd give it another month. If still not clear bentonite is easy to use and VERY effective. It's my secret to crystal clear meads.

All the Best,
Doug White

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns