• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

sparkling mead in the carboy?

Barrel Char Wood Products

maenad

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 8, 2008
My mead has been sitting in the secondary for a couple of months now and it tastes fine. I was planning to bottle it but now I've been asked to bring the whole 20 litres to a party. It seems like a real shame to go to all the trouble of bottling it when it's all going to be drunk at the same time. (This is a christmas party).

Two questions -

although it tastes OK, it's a tiny bit insipid. Will a month in the bottles improve this? - I assume not?

I do prefer sparkling mead but I assume that's impossible when the mead going to be drunk straight out of a carboy. Correct?

thanks!

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
If it's insipid, you could try a TINY bit of acid blend to perk it up... take a sample and put a pinch in, or maybe a few drops of lemon juice. If that improves the taste, you have a solution, just try not to overdo it.

As for sparkling in the carboy, not really. The closest you could come safely would be to dump more honey in there and serve it while it's actively fermenting. A keg would be the ideal setup for this application...

And rather than transporting the whole 5-gal carboy, I would recommend you either bottle it in 1.5 litre bottles or 1 gallon jugs, much easier to transport a case at a time and you don't have to worry so much about any leftovers getting oxidized.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns